Thursday, May 24, 2007

Distractions

I am not sure if the universe is against me or if I just bring it upon myself but ever since I made the appointment to take this dreaded GMAT, life has thrown me a few major curve balls that have distracted me.

The appointment for the test was made a month in advance to give myself enough time to study and take a few practice tests, figuring that was plenty of time. A few days after the appointment was made, my father went into the hospital for a week. Of course I spent that time with him, I mean family always comes first, even before myself. After that week, I started to study at every chance I got but it seemed that there were very few chances. It didn't help that the weather was getting better which has always made it hard for me to concentrate on anything but being outside. Then last Saturday I got a frantic call from my sister asking me for directions to a hospital here. Kevin, Ralf's ( my brother-in-law) brother, was rushed to the hospital because he was having a lot of problems. After running tests, they found a tumor on the front of his brain. There was so much pressure in that area that they were going to drill holes in his head to relive it so that the brain could settle back into place. After breakfast on Sunday, I went to the hospital to sit with my sister and Ralf's family to wait for Kevin's surgery to be done. It took over 7 hours but they removed most of the tumor and to all of our surprise, he is home now. They are waiting for the biopsy results on the tumor but at least everything is ok for now. I know I didn't have to go on Sunday and spend all day there but again, my family comes first and my sister needed me and my other sister to distract her from what was going on. Well at least we kept her entertained. In some twisted way, I enjoyed talking and spending time with my sisters that day. After watching my dad sick in the hospital and the shocking news about Kevin ( he is only a few years older than me and that is really young :) ), I just didn't find the GMAT that important.


On top of the family drama, I was stressed. Stressed because I didn't have time to study, I didn't have time to go to the gym and I was exhausted. I know I sound like I am complaining but really I'm just looking for advice on how to handle life when it seems overbearing. Lucky for me, I do have a solid circle of friends and family that I can lean on when needed. The only solution I came up with was rescheduling my GMAT appointment. This will give me another month to study and hopefully I can figure out how to find time to prepare and deal with life's curve balls.


Thanks to my love, family and friends who helped me through this last month. Just warning you now....it looks like my summer will be as busy, so expect those crazy phone calls :)

No comments: